Sunday, May 2, 2010

race day!


I was up at 5am today having oatmeal and blueberries with a grape Gatorade G2 and stood on the patio taking in the fresh air. After doing my usual stretching routine and making sure I take advantage of the washroom as many times as need be, I notice it`s about 6:15 and that gave me 45min to get to the start line. I took the skytrain to stadium station and of course once I got there I needed to take a leak and all the full marathoners were lining up for the port a potties because the full started at 7:30, so once the gun went off for my half I was counting the people in front of me...in the port a potty line! and it was at 10. When it was finally my turn I remember hearing the announcer say "looks like we have a couple late ones they better hurry" so I burst out of the johnny on the spot and Izumi`s there telling me to hurry up! so I head to the start and everyone has started which means i almost started dead last. Now the good thing about starting late is that I`ll spend the majority of the run passing the back of the pack and slower runners. Anyway 3 miles in it starts pissing rain, so I`m soaked after 25 minutes but I was expecting that. Once in Stanley Park I was looking forward to prospect point hill and once up that I took my powerade gels and then decided just to go for it! Now I planned on doing that but actually running from Lion`s Gate bridge to BC Place stadium was pretty cool with people cheering along the way! I wanted to finish between 1:45 and 2:00 so I`m waiting for the official time on the Vancouver Marathon website.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you need the "Stadium Pal"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdymtyXt8Y

    On a more serious note: You write a great blog and congrats on another run done!!

    ReplyDelete